|Published||July 25, 2022|
Job ID: 2210827
Location: GREENBELT , MD , US
Date Posted: 2022-07-22
Subcategory: SW Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Remote Work: No
The Goddard Modeling and Assimilation Office (GMAO) at NASA/GSFC is looking for a Python developer / scientific programmer to enhance and develop on-line data and image delivery systems and to maintain data visualization and statistical analysis packages. Experience with Database Management is also needed. Responsibilities will include working on GMAO's Framework for Live User-Invoked Data (FLUID) and migrating key software packages to Python-3.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Migrating key software packages to Python-3
- Developing and maintaining GMAO on-line data and image delivery systems including web-based utilities managed under FLUID.
- Optimize codes and employ innovative technologies to improve on-demand data access and visualization of high-resolution global data sets.
- Provide necessary documentation and updates when necessary to stay abreast in the current technological industry and climate.
- Support Python development efforts within GMAO by providing guidance and answering questions.
- Maintain and develop software packages for statistical analysis of earth science data.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum bachelor's degree (B.S.) in computer science or related field, plus 3 years with experience in Earth and physical science applications as well as Earth observation data types and formats, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working on Unix/Linux platforms.
- Strong Python programming skills.
- Experience working with large scientific datasets and a variety of data formats (including netCDF and HDF).
- Experience with producing high-quality visualizations for earth-related sciences.
- Experience with version control software such as Git.
- Proven ability to quickly master new programming languages.
- Demonstrated availability to work well in a team environment.
- Solid communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience with Fortran and/or C, C++ .
- Experience working with virtual environments such as the Anaconda Python distribution.
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) and experience with an OOP programming language.
- Experience querying SQL databases.
- Experience or knowledge in a geospatial data visualization Python library such as Basemap or CartoPy.
- Experience with Web Map Services (WMS) and Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards.
- Cloud-based service technology and usage.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.SAIC is a premier Fortune 500 technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com .
SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAIC's approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see My SAIC Benefits. - provided by Dice